Some finished objects

2013 was deliberately a year for learning- the Honiton, making clothes for the first time and just recently taking up knitting again which I’ve not done since I was 10 (and started making lace!), so everything I made was more than a little amateurish and not to be shouted about. Of course that’s not to assume that things will get markedly better in 2014, but I feel like I’m heading in the right direction. First up for 2014 was a skirt, Simplicity 2451 of which I’ve seen many lovely iterations online (here and here for example).

I practised first on a remnant of fabric from Abakahns (which cost all of about £1.90) but it’s turned out really well:

IMG_20140126_085933 IMG_20140126_085915

Gah, terrible selfie pictures, but you get the idea…

The pattern kind of loses the waistline detailing though

P1090955 P1090956

But I did cobble together a lining which I was pleased about. What I really wanted was a denim version though, so having practised on the patterned fabric, I was a bit more comfortable with the next version, but still ended up making it twice as I had a total blonde moment and put the zip in wrong and messed up the lining. Fool! But I learnt from my mistakes and all was well in the end:

Skirt 1



If there’s not a small child round my feet, there’s a cat.

It’s perfect for work, where I’m now in a much more casually dressed environment and I haven’t really stopped wearing it this past week- it just goes with everything. Yay!

I also made a house for my daughter’s 3rd birthday at the weekend, inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee Christmas Special, but using instructions from here.


P1090966 P1090967

She is always talking about her imaginary purple house where her perfect ‘Purple Mummy’ lives and they do all sorts of special purple things. So now she has a real purple house. And it’s great for when we go out visiting people or for coffee- she has something really portable to take and play with. It’s just a shame that her big sister sat last night and picked all the embellishments off it so I need to repair it already <sigh>.

Finally, I’ve just finished a wrap dress using the Sew Over It pattern I won in a giveaway by Karen at Did You Make That.


Wrap dress

The headless woman after a long day in the office

It was really quick and easy to make and is super comfortable to wear. The fabric is a jersey knit which behaved brilliantly and looks great with boots and thick tights, and will be equally as good in the Spring with bare legs and flats. The instructions were really easy to follow and I had absolutely no problems at any stage- I’ll definitely be making another one of these sometime soon.

So not a bad start to the year so far. And just because I like lists, here’s what I made in 2013- they’re not perfect but they’re mine:


P1090954 P1090953


Version 1- my first ever top! Version 2- cap sleeves! Version 3- Ah, I love this top! Here’s a close up of the spots and Broderie Anglais trimming:


  • Mathilde tops x 2 (one without photos for no reason whatsoever)


Blogged about here

  • Miette skirt in navy spotty/snail print fabric



  • Navy pencil skirt (boring so no pictures)

P1090959 P1090961

All the fabric for these was from Abakahn’s- the two on the outside are some kind of polyester/silky stuff- the right hand one was a nightmare to work with, repelling pins and fraying everywhere but the spotted one was a bit better behaved. The version in the middle is a jersey so was very forgiving for a beginner like moi.

  • Girls dresses (blogged about here)
  • Clothkits skirt (let’s not go there- I was bought this as a kit a few years ago, took far too many attempts to get the lining and waist facings right and then it was way too big, so I’ve adjusted it and it’s wearable… just. There are no pictures, it’s better that way. I was just glad to get it out of my UFO pile)


  • Torchon Lace strip for Mathilde (as blogged about here)
  • Various Honiton motifs and Honiton heart


and technically I finished this in 2013 although the bulk of the work took place in 2012:



  • Sewing machine cover


I used the denim leftover from this to make the Simplicity skirt, and the side-panels and lining inside used leftover fabric from my first Sorbetto. The applique I made up myself.

And for Christmas….

  • Advent Calendar (from a kit)
  • Apron (for a gift)

So the fact that I got into sewing probably distracted me somewhat from the lace but I certainly feel that I’ve been creative. And anyhow, lace takes a lot longer, honest 😉


2 thoughts on “Some finished objects

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s